Varus Test of the knee
Varus Test of the knee is used to test Integrity of the lateral collateral ligament
- Patient is supine with the affected knee in full extension.
- Examiner stabilizes the affected leg in slight external rotation with one hand on the lateral malleolus.
- Examiner places their other hand on the medial aspect of the knee.
- Examiner applies a laterally directed (a varus) stress on the medial knee.
- Flex their knee to 30 degrees and apply the same pressure on the lateral side to isolate the lateral collateral ligament.
Positive Varus Test:
- Presence of pain and hypermobility at the lateral aspect of the knee