Apley grinding Test
Apley grinding Test is used for medial or lateral Meniscal Injury in the knee.
- Patient is prone.
- Patient then flexes affected knee to 90°
- Examiner’s one hand grasps patient’s heel and ankle while the other hand stabilizes the leg.
- Examiner compresses the flexed knee joint and the menisci –by pushing the patient’s foot and tibia down into the table, followed by internal and external rotation of the tibia.
- POSITIVE SIGN:
- Pain on the medial aspect = medial meniscus damage/injury.
- Pain on the lateral aspect = lateral meniscus injury/damage.
- Sensitivity: 83 %
- Specificity: 71 %
- Millers Review of Orthopaedics -7E Book